100 Watt Productions: Innocent Anarchy is an independent theatre company that creates and produces theatre that questions our relationship to the planet and with one another. Kristina Watt Villegas leads the anarchy (see bio below).
What do we do?
- 100 WATT creates innovative, boundary stretching theatre through collaboration between professional artists and young people.
- 100 WATT projects are driven by a curiosity about humanity’s relationship with nature and to one another. The respect for the environment is integrated not only into the content but in the amount of resources we use (low carbon theatre)
- 100 Watt productions embrace the tension that vibrates between innocence & anarchy, while posing universal questions that may resonate with any age.
- 100 Watt aims for innovative theatre that embraces the collision of unexpected forms
What do we believe?
- 100 Watt believes in theatre that arises from Big Questions that can be posed to artists of any age.
- 100 Watt believes that great things can only happen in a safe space, where trust and play rule.
- 100 Watt believes that the creation of theatre should come at a minimum cost to the environment
- 100 Watt believes that theatre should be an event, an event that actually adds cells to the bodies of audiences. 100 Watt believes that theatre does not only belong in a theatre.
- 100 Watt sees budget restraints as a positive impetus to explore and merge new forms that rely on exercising the imaginations of both the artists and audiences.
- 100 Watt believes in a process of intense, rigorous and play-based learning while building a new work.
Above all, 100 Watt believes that ART IS TANGIBLE. It can be felt, touched, and experienced. It has quantifiable value to all. It is magical, but it is not magic; it can be learned and that learning can be shared.
[Image Description: a circle of young people stand back to back, looking up. They wear masks on their heads and red feather scarves. Above are strings with dangling objects. The light on the back wall is fragmented.]
MORE: 100 Watt offers classes, training, coaching in acting, voice, speech, audition preparation, presentation skills, and performance in areas beyond theatre. 100 Watt mentors youth to find and pursue a personal goal that carries both passion and skill.
For more information? Contact Kristina: firstname.lastname@example.org
More about KRISTINA WATT VILLEGAS
Kristina is an award winning actor & theatre creator. Once relocating to Ottawa, she has worked at theatres including the National Arts Centre, Great Canadian Theatre Company, Magnetic North Theatre Festival, New Theatre of Ottawa, MiCasa Theatre and undercurrents Festival. Projects with 100 Watt investigate the relationship between humans and the planet, and with one another. They include 12, While We Wait, Particle and Holding Mercury. She has taught acting & theory at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, and at the University of Ottawa. She received her MFA in North Carolina then continued to train at institutions such as the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Central School of Speech & Drama, The Acting Center (NYC), Lincoln Center, and Volcano Theatre. She served as Arts Outreach Coordinator for children at facilities in NYC. At the Ottawa International Children’s Festival, she created the “100 Watt Earth Stage”, an annual showcase of the artistry of youth. She is part of the National Alliance of Teaching Artists in the United States. Much of her passion to create & teach is fueled by a desire to give a voice to the needs, thoughts, and potential of youth.
[Top Banner Image Description: a woman wearing a red sweater with dark brown hair stands and looks out; behind her is a screen with shimmering blue water. The woman’s shadow is reflected on the water.]